Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SATA RAID Recommendations for Linux

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] SATA RAID Recommendations for Linux
  • From: "Dan Langille" <dan [ at ] langille [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 13:30:59 -0400
On 20 Jun 2006 at 13:07, Dan Langille wrote:

> I just heard from a noted developer who has worked on RAID a lot. The
> rest of this post is more or less his words and from his point of
> view, not mine (ie. if I say I, assume he is speaking).
>
> For SCSI, you are better off having all the drives the same.  He has
> no data on SATA, but the star-topology nature of SATA may not be
> prone to the same bus-tpology issues that SCSI has.
>
> With SCSI, each vendor has a slightly different interpretation of the
> spec, though usually a legal one. The differences in timing,
> reconnection policies, etc, by different brands on the same bus can
> cause hic-ups under very high load. The controller might see a
> spurious timeout on a device, for example, when the drive is actually
> OK. For RAID controllers that aggressively defend against problems,
> this can result in bogus failure reports.
>
> With SATA, since each drive essentially is alone on its bus, that
> might not be an issue. But then again, it might be an issue for the
> controller chip that has to talk to all of the drives. I don't have
> much data on that, though.
>
> hth.

In addition:

###
If you're worried about these kinds of problems, then you should
already be carefully selecting and qualifying your hardware before
putting it into production.

And, you should be doing regular backups
###

The following is for those that do not know otherwise: RAID is not a
backup.  RAID lets the system survive a disk failure.  RAID is not a
backup.  RAID without backup is ill-advised.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php