Re: [OCLUG-Tech] How good is Linux at NUMA ?

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] How good is Linux at NUMA ?
  • From: Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:21:17 -0500
On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:27:08AM -0500, Peter Sjoberg wrote:
> I just wonder if anyone knows what state  the linux NUMA implementation
> is at. I looked on some linux numa sites but it seems very dated (many
> 2001 and 2004 the latest).
> I had a discussion with a friend about how good numa is on linux and his
> opinion is that we should run x86 Solaris on all opterons or replace the
> 4way with UP system since numa is so immature under linux.

NUMA works quite well under Linux.  There is room for improvement,
perhaps, but people like HP, AMD and SGI all have NUMA machines, and
SGI's are even Linux *only* (and they're actually the biggest computers
too, with up to 1024CPUs in a single machine)

There is libNUMA to do manual intervention on how you want memory
policies to be inforced (local first, round robin, local only) as well
as assigning jobs to run on certain CPUs.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE