[OCLUG-Tech] Re: [Ocuug] Free Wireless project in Ottawa/Gatineau

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: [Ocuug] Free Wireless project in Ottawa/Gatineau
  • From: Rick Leir <rleir [ at ] leirtech [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:31:23 -0500 (EST)
I was installing antennas for Ripnet around Brockville.

In Ottawa, Storm serves the flat, open areas.  It is more difficult to
serve the hilly, wooded areas.  Each location is different.  Many benefit
from a nice tall DMX tower.  When you can't get line-of-sight to a Storm
tower, what then?  We need cooperation, where homeowners relay
connections to others who have line-of-sight to them.  Some work is needed
to organize this all.  What is the financial model?  Can we work with
SimplySurf?

For fun: there was a homeowner who did not have line-of-sight to Ripnet,
but was a mile away from a large industrial building that gave a good
reflection.  Connected!

Another homeowner had a tower, but a tree blocked the line-of-sight.  With
a 10' mast extended horizontally from the top of the tower, Connected!
cheers -- Rick

--
Rick Leir     613-828-8289             ->  rick
http://www.leirtech.com/rick/          AT  leirtech