[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Dvorak stuff [was: USB keyboard remapping]

Jeff East wrote:

[gr] Just out of curiosity, how good would the Dvorak layout be for a two/three fingered typist such as myself? I'm right-handed, so I imagine a RH layout would be best, right?

Just to second guess :), but do you mean that you have less than 10 fingers? There are the Dvorak-RH and Dvorah-LH layouts, originally created for the one handed, ideally 5 fingered typist. The single hand only roams half the traditional keyboard. I've not tried it, but it's supposed to be one-hand friendly in terms of shift-control-alt keys.\\
[gr] No, I have all ten fingers, but I'm used to the hunt 'n peck method using two or three fingers at a time.

Of course there's been some interest in applying the idea to handheld computers, to allow touch typing on a small device with less key area. The reason we haven't seen it is because of the inertia a potential customer would have against learning a new typing method.

I don't need labelled keycaps to type, but when flying a WW2 simlator with a joystick in one hand, I sometimes have to flail for individual keys ("G" for landing gear) because I don't have Dvorak keycaps.

I switched to Dvorak mostly because I got work (carpentry) and play (Linux) related carpal tunnel, bad. After getting the surgery on both hands I lucked out and got a good "tented" ergo QWERTY keyboard cheap, and read about how Dvorak is easier on the hands. I can't be scientific about Dvorak, but I now *hate* traditional keyboard shapes, and would never own one again. I say let's go further and get rid of the staggered rows - another mechanical typewriter legacy.
[gr] Using any kind of "shaped" keyboard ususally requires a typing method, which I have yet to learn. I was just wondering if hunt 'n peck was easier on a dvorak layout.