[OCLUG-Tech] video card

So, I'm in the market for a new video card, as the fan on my radeon 8500 finally quit for good, and all information I've found online suggests that trying to replace the recessed fan is an exercise in futility.

The system has the ~1.5 Ghz athalon 1800+ with 256 megs of ram (will be upgraded at the same time as the card - even with ratpoison as a wm and no major server apps running, I want more), a 60 GB HD (OS, projects, home dirs, etc), a 30 GB HD (backups and media storage), an ancient CD-RW drive, and a DVD-ROM drive.  So, I'm obviously not looking for a top-of the line card, as spending $300-$500 on a video card for a sys like this doesn't make much sense.

Everything I remember from the last time I looked into getting a new card (the last time this card gave me trouble - it needed to be cleaned and reseated) points to Nvidia.  I don't care much about running closed source drivers, but I do want to be able to get 3d acceleration working under linux without too much trouble.  Does anyone know of any major changes I should know about?  Have the ATI drivers lept forward enough that I should consider another ATI?

If it matters, I run debian sarge, and have win98 duel-booted (for games that don't run under linux).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

On a completely unrelated note (I swear), does anyone want a radeon 8500 video card in nead of a gpu fan?  I believe it works, other than the fan.  Computer boots and runs, but locks up after a few minutes (or a few hours if I turn off the monitor and ssh in).

I'm in the west end, if someone wants it and wants to pick it up.  Reply off-list if you are interested in the card.

--

Jeremy John Wakeman
jeremywakeman [ at ] istop [ dot ] com