[OCLUG-Tech] Debian Wireless

I was wondering, how do you find out what the name of the interface that
corresponds to your new network device?  How do you know your wireless card
is eth2, and not wlan0, or ath0?

Technical details:
I have a new LInksys Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter, version 4.  It has the
RT2500USB chipset, I'm running Debian (newest Kanotix), with
2.6.11-kanotix-11.  I needed to get the ural driver from:
http://etudiants.insia.org/~jbobbio/ural-linux/
I installed it using
%make
%su
#make install
#modprobe ural.
which created a new module in /lib/modules/....

dmesg doesn't complain, and says it brings up ural to run the thing, but I
don't know how to actually use it to connect.  I think it's working, or can
work, but I don't know how to command it to _connect_.  Add to that Kanotix
doesn't set up the ifup/ifdown scripts, and a blithe mention of something
called wpa_supplicant.  (I'm used to pain and suffering trying to get
wireless cards working with Debian, but this little trick, playing invisible,
was unexpected.)

-Sebastien