Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Sockets - need concept only.

Sockets are a nice abstraction of interprocess communications which hides from
the programmer all issues related to networking.  It won't matter if the two
processes are running on the same machine or on different continents, the
socket abstraction hides all of that.  It hides a bunch of other things too:
error checking and correction; ensuring that data is received in order and so
on.

All the other mechanisms you listed either won't work across a network or
don't have the degree of abstraction that sockets do.

Michael