[OCLUG-Tech] Linux PC vendors

A non-technical friend is so annoyed with Windoze that she is willing to
replace just-dead laptop with a Linux box. However, where to buy one? I
know some places (e.g. Mooney's Bay) will sell high end boxes. However,
config I believe is of interest is modest processor, good memory (512),
decent but not extravagant video, modem, DVDRAM (or CDRW if not functional
enough on Linux), and 17" LCD monitor. I was thinking Ubuntu or Xandros as
the OS given my experience with them. Internet access would be via dial-up
at present.

Pointers welcome.

J C Nash