Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re TCP Ports -- and the little guy listening

Thank you Kevin;

I have a copy of "Unix Network Programming" book by W. Richard Stevens,
1990 edition.  I hope that's not too old to be useful.  I have started
to read it.

But perhaps you can clarify one thing for me that might be the basis of
my misunderstanding.

Does the port number in the header end up as, or refer to, a specific
physical location on my computer (memory) or is it just a label that
tells my cpu which program to call in order to process the message?